The history of the craftsman family Fendt goes back 350 years. The production of tower clocks, lead strings and violins spread their fame in the Allgäu region. The family also farmed on a sideline and had a small trade in agricultural equipment. Johann Georg Fendt, born on 16 August 1868, took over the family business of his father Franz Xaver in 1898 and began selling Deutz stationary engines, where he also carried out on-site maintenance and repair work. While the first born son Xaver left the family business and worked at big companies like Deutz or BMW. Hermann also worked with his father in his daily work. Both recognized the need for agricultural utility machines and ventured in 1928 to build a motorized grass mower.
The first 4.5 kW (6 hp) Dieselross tractor was built in 1930 by the brothers Hermann (1911-1995) and Xaver Fendt (1907-1989) under the guidance of their father Johann Georg Fendt (1868-1933). In 1937, the two incorporated the company in the commercial register. In 1938, the Fendt brothers built the Dieselross F 22 with up to 16 kW (22 hp) which was followed by Dieselross series until 1958. This development made them known beyond the borders of the Allgäu for the first time. In 1958, a new class of tractor series "ff" series with the types Favorit, Farmer and Fix were launched. The design was changed, and offered the engine power from 11 kW (15 hp) to 60 kW (80 hp). The favorite 1 was trend-setting in form and technical equipment, with multi-course fine-step transmission system. The recent series of Vario Class was unveiled in 1996 which are innovative in design, revolutionary in gearbox technology and the world's first large tractor with the stepless Vario transmission.